Thursday, June 3, 2010

Agave and Ginger Glazed Salmon

2 servings- 20 min cooking plus at least 3 hr marinating

Yesterday I had one of those days where I felt like making up a recipe. I made some really good salmon a couple weeks ago from a Giada de Laurentiis recipe that used agave nectar and I wanted to spice it up.  I just started adding stuff from the Asian side of my pantry until I had something delicious.

I forgot to take a picture of the ginger, it was a last minute addition but it totally made the dish.

2 tbs agave nectar
2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs fresh grated ginger  (or a big teaspoon of ground ginger but fresh is better)
Two 4-5oz salmon fillets 

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and pour into a ziploc bag.


Then add the salmon, squish the marinade all over the fillets, squeeze the extra air out of the bag, and refrigerate for a couple hours.

You could put in 4-6 fillets but I wanted to use the extra marinade to make a glaze.

Whenever you can't wait any longer to eat, pour the excess marinade in a saucepan and simmer until reduced by half.  Heat a grill pan (the grill marks are pretty) or a skillet and pour in about 1 tbs oil.  Grill the salmon for a couple minutes on each side until medium rare.  Serve the salmon over some brown rice and spoon the glaze over the top.  It tastes great on the rice.


This was sooo tasty. I couldn't believe I just made it up on the fly but it's going to be one of my regulars now.
I paired it with a fresh salad and lemon vinaigrette.

800 calories, 14.5g fat, 1300g sodium, 7g fiber, 37g protein per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment