Monday, June 14, 2010

Dumplings

I made these for the first time one day when my mom and sister were visiting and I realized I didn't have anything planned for dinner.  For some reason, I had some wonton wrappers in the fridge that I'd been meaning to play with and some ricotta cheese left over from Josh's lasagna.  I decided to experiment and make lasagna dumpling/raviolis and top them with marinara sauce I also had in the fridge.  They turned out so well that my picky sister just gobbled them up and I was inspired to experiment with several different fillings later.

Josh and I like to fantasize about what sort of food-based businesses we want to own someday.  A winery was on the list at one point, as was a pub.  They may still happen but right now it's an organic farm and a little restaurant.  Whenever we create a great recipe, we say that it's "going on the restaurant menu".  The first time I experimented with different kinds of dumplings, Josh totally said that our restaurant should be based around them and we'd have Asian and Mexican and Italian and so on.  It made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Here is the basic technique for making the dumplings first and the recipes for different fillings and sauces I've tried follows.


These are the wonton wrappers I use.  They're the small square ones.  There are directions on back as to how to fold them but when I made them, I was sort of trying to show off and make pretty pyramid raviolis.  It was easy enough so I kept making them like that but you can use the package directions if you want.


It goes faster if you make an assembly line so clear a little work area and lay out 9 wontons at a time.  Spoon 1 tbs of filling onto the very center of each wrapper.


Using a basting brush or your finger, brush the edges of the wrappers with water.  Only do 3 at a time before folding because the water will make the edges mushy if they sit too long.


To fold them into pyramids, first pinch together 2 opposing corners.


Holding those corners with one hand, fold up the third corner and pinch it at the top.


Line up the edges and pinch them together from top to bottom.


Do the same to the last corner. 


Make sure the edges are sealed and squeeze out as much air as you can.  The steam inside could make them pop during cooking.


Repeat until you have as many dumplings as you think you can eat.  Then make a few more.  You'll want more, just trust me on this.


This is a bamboo steamer.  It is by far the best way to cook the dumplings.  If you don't have one, they're about $10 at an Asian food store or you could use a regular steamer basket.  The first time I made dumplings, I boiled them in water.  It got the job done but if you don't seal the edges perfectly, they open and all your filling falls out in the water.  Gross. 


Line the steamer with cabbage leaves.  No matter how much oil you brush on the steamer bottom, the dumplings will still stick so it needs to be lined with something.  I didn't have any whole leaves so I just used the chopped cole slaw mix I used for the filling.  Just make sure the bottom is covered.  Arrange as many dumplings as you can fit, making sure they don't touch.  Bamboo steamers have 2 layers and even if you stuff it full, both layers will cook evenly.  That's what I love most about it.

Cook the dumplings in the steamer over a rapidly boiling pot of water for 10 minutes.


Remove the steamer from the pot when you retrieve the cooked dumplings.  Steam burns.  Put on a nice big platter and eat them family-style.  That's my method of choice.


You'll be glad you made extra.  These are just too good.



Italian Pyramid Raviolis  (this makes about 6 raviolis)
3 tbs Ricotta cheese
1 tbs herbs de Provence
2oz cooked and diced chicken breast (about half a small breast)


Mix ingredients in a small bowl and spoon into wonton wrappers.


Dip them in your favorite warm marinara sauce.  It tastes just like lasagna. 



Spicy Asian Dumplings  (this makes about 8 dumplings)
1/2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
1 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp mirin (sweet wine)
1 1/2 tsp Sriracha
2oz cooked and diced chicken breast
1/2 cup shredded cabbage and carrots (cole slaw mix works well)


Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and spoon into wonton wrappers.


For the sauce:
1 tsp Japanese mayonnaise
1 tsp chile garlic paste
1/2 tsp sesame oil



Sweet Asian Dumplings  (this makes about 8 dumplings)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp red miso paste
2oz cooked and diced chicken breast
1/2 c shredded cabbage and carrots (cole slaw mix works well)


 Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and spoon into wonton wrappers.


For the sauce:
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tbs mirin (sweet wine)
2 tbs sweet chile sauce


One more picture...I'm getting hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment