Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Graham Streusel Coffee Cake

Let's all take a moment and kneel before the Almighty Coffee Cake.  Amen.  I think this one originated with an aunt and then my mom messed with it and make it my favorite dessert ever.  There have been many birthdays when this was my cake of choice.  Even my father-in-law, a fabulous cook himself, raves about this cake.  It's just too easy not to make for your next party, or dinner, or to hide in the cabinet to keep for yourself.  I won't judge.


20 crushed graham crackers
2/3 c chopped pecans
2/3 c brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c (1 stick) margarine, melted

Melt the margarine in a medium bowl.  Put the graham crackers in a ziploc bag and take out your frustration on it.  Crush them until they're in tiny chunks, not quite crumbs.  Pour them into the bowl with the margarine, add the other ingredients, and stir until it's a homogeneous mixture.

In your mixer:
1 box of yellow cake mix, prepared as per the box directions.

I've made this so many times, I wanted to make it a round, double-layer cake just to play around.

Grease and flour a 9x13 pan (or use parchment paper. I love parchment paper).

 I goofed when it came to filling the pans though...what you see here is TOO FULL.  They came out fine, they just took longer to bake.

Spread half the cake mix in the bottom, followed by half the crumble mix, then rest of the cake mix, rest of the crumble mix.

Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or light brown on top.



You must use this glaze.  I love canned frosting but it won't cut it for this.
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbs milk
2 drops vanilla
1 tsp melted margarine

Mix it all up until creamy.  If it's too runny, add a little more sugar; too thick, add a few drops of milk.
Let the cake cool and drizzle the glaze over the top.


It didn't come out perfect...


but who am I kidding?


I'd eat this cake off the floor if I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment