Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sesame Noodles

I love udon noodles.  They're so soft and chewy and delicious.  I wish I could eat them all the time.  But they're loaded with sodium so I only make them when I find a really good reason to use them.  These sesame noodles are it.  They take a lot of Asian ingredients but they're worth it and I'll show you other ways to use them later.

 
12oz thin noodles, cooked and drained
1/4 c soy sauce
1 1/2 tbs agave nectar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs rice vinegar
3 tbs sesame oil
4 tbs canola oil
2 tbs hot water
1 tbs Sriracha sauce
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs sesame seeds
1 c edamame

Mmmm...my hands smelled so good after cutting all that garlic!

Mix everything but the noodles and edamame in a large bowl.  I know fish sauce sounds weird, especially when you know it's made from fermented anchovies but it's amazing.  It doesn't taste fishy, it just gives the food a salty, deep, robust flavor.  Just trust me on this. 


Prepare the noodles.  I use frozen edamame so I just throw them in with the noodles when they're about half done.  Udon noodles tend to still be starchy after they're cooked so rinse them with hot water after you strain them.  Pour the noodles and edamame into the sauce mixture and toss to coat evenly.


Serve in individual bowls and practice using your chopsticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment