Friday, July 16, 2010

Pancakes

Oh pancakes! I have such wonderful memories of my mommy making pancakes almost every Saturday morning for my sister and I.  Our dogs loved Saturdays too because they each got a leftover.  Our little mutt, Soccer got really good at catching food in the air from practicing with pancake pieces.  This recipe is from my Great-Grandma Nettie who I'm told was the coolest lady ever.  She liked her dirty jokes, her beer, and her Cubs.  I think we would have gotten along very well, minus the Cubs; I hate baseball.
I used whole wheat flour and agave nectar where the original recipe used white flour and sugar.  Josh and I actually like them better my way.  They have a nice texture and are of course, better for you.


1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbs melted margarine
3 tbs agave nectar
1 egg
1 cup lowfat or fat free buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients first to break up any lumps.


Then gently mix in the wet ingredients. Don't overmix or the pancakes won't be nice and fluffy.


Heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat.  *These can be temperamental so keep a close eye on the first couple batches and adjust the heat as needed.*  Give the pan a squirt of cooking spray and spoon in enough batter for 3 or 4 pancakes.  However many you can fit while still being able to flip them.  When you start seeing little bubbles form, check the bottom and if they're golden brown, flip 'em over.


Cook the other side for about a minute.


Serve hot with syrup and fruit.  I had a banana about to go bad so I used it and it was delicious.  Bananas taste amazing with pancakes.


So warm...so fluffy...I thought about making bran muffins with the rest of my buttermilk but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to make more pancakes in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment