Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sushi (Maki Rolls)

I've been getting my recipes organized this week since I finally have time to work on the cookbook I promised to make for my sister.  I have a friend who uses Shutterfly to make photo books of the puppets she sews and makes stories for.  They're so cool and really nice quality so I decided to use them.  I got the urge to make a cookbook for Monica because she's now attending my alma mater and while I will love Georgia Tech until the day I die, their dining hall food sucks.  I ate a whole lot of pasta while I was there and usually resorted to making rice in my room.  Since my sister is even less culinary-inclined than me, I figured she could benefit from a step-by-step guide of easy recipes I've tried for myself.  She always asks me to make sushi when she comes over because over the years, I've eaten enough of it and seen enough how-to TV shows to make some pretty good sushi rolls.  It's also quite expensive so if I'm able to find all the ingredients, dammit I'm going to make it myself. 

The word Sushi actually refers to the sweetened, vinegared rice so remember that the next time you're in cultured company.  Sashimi is the raw fish.  The two types of sushi you're probably familiar with are Nigiri and Maki.  Nigiri are the balls of rice topped with a thin slice of sashimi.  Proper etiquette states that if you dip the nigiri in soy sauce, you dip it fish side down.  Using your fingers is permitted.  Maki are the rolls that people usually think of when they think "sushi".  Etiquette for maki states that you do not eat the roll in more than one bite.  It's a big bite, but having a full mouth is better than letting all the filling fall out.  Also, even though I break this rule, you're not supposed to put the pickled ginger on the sushi rolls.  It is supposed to be a palate cleanser between bites.  These rules might seem silly but like I've said before, if I can, I like to stay as true to the traditional methods of international food as I can.  It also helps to look like you know what you're doing in front of well-traveled friends.

Anyway, back to the food.  This is how you make the sushi rice.


This is a package of nori sheets, rice vinegar, and sushi rice.  I've tried other rices and if you can find this one in the pink package, get it.  I like the texture.


This is the rice seasoning.  I used to only use rice vinegar but I was recently told by my friendly neighborhood Asian grocery store owner that this is what they use in Japan nowadays.  I tried it and it works fine but I like a more vinegar flavor so I added a splash at the end.


Rinse the rice to rid it of excess starch until the water runs clear (If you don't do this, your rice will be slimy). Then prepare the rice as per the directions.  For the rice I used, that means bring 2 cups rice and 2 3/4 cups water to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and start adding the seasoning little by little, stirring and tasting between applications.  When it tastes a little sweet and a little tart, let it stand and cool to room temperature.  DO NOT put it in the fridge.  Just be patient.  The fridge will make the rice hard.  You know how bad that Chinese takeout was the next day?  It's because of the fridge.


So I'll show you a basic California Roll to demonstrate the appropriate amounts to put in a maki roll.  2 cups of sushi rice will yield about 6 (uncut) rolls, enough for 2 hungry people.  Crab Smart is the best tasting imitation crab I've found so if it's in your grocery store, go with it.  If not, use whatever looks good.  Cut a medium cucumber in half and then cut it into long 1/4" diameter slices.  Cut out the seeds while you're at it.  Make the same size slices out of the avocado.


Clear a workspace and lay down a bamboo mat (or any pliable placemat) covered with plastic wrap.  Have a glass of water to rinse your rice-pressing hand and a wet towel to wipe your slicing knife.


Wet a hand, scoop a small handful of rice, and press it into the sheet of nori.  Make a layer about 1/8" thick.  I like sesame seeds so at this point, I sprinkle some all over the rice.  Lay rows of the crab, avocado, and cucumber down evenly at one end.


Gently start to roll up the edge while holding the filling in with your fingertips.


When you've almost completed one rotation, start peeling the plastic back.  You don't want to make it part of the sushi roll.


With one hand, keep peeling the plastic and mat back and with the other, keep the roll tight with your fingers wide.


After completing the roll, wet a long, thin knife and slice it in half.  Put the two halves next to each other and cut them 3 more times, wiping the knife after each cut.


Repeat for as many rolls as you have and serve with wasabi paste (if you like it), pickled ginger, and soy or ponzu sauce.  Josh and I prefer ponzu sauce.  It's a citrus soy sauce and I just think it has a nicer and more complex flavor than regular soy sauce.  Making sushi for your friends is sure to impress them.  And it's so easy once you have the right ingredients.  These are only good for a few hours so don't try to make a big batch and refrigerate them like most of my other recipes.  The moisture in the rice makes the nori slimy and the rice gets hard (just like that Chinese takeout).  Just trust me on this so you don't end up wasting good sashimi.


Other recipes for maki rolls:

Sunset Roll
crab, masago (capelin/smelt roe), and tuna

Dragon Roll
tempura shrimp, avocado, tobiko (flying fish roe), cucumber, BBQ unagi (sashimi grade eel)

Boston Roll
shrimp, avocado, cucumber, tobiko (flying fish roe)

Unagi Roll
Unagi (sashimi grade eel), cucumber

Carolina Roll
crab, avocado, cucumber, pineapple, duck sauce

Dynamite Roll
BBQ unagi (sashimi grade eel), avocado, scallion, crab, cream cheese, crushed macadamia nuts






1 comment:

  1. Yay for Shutterfly! Meg, making your own cookbook is a GREAT idea!! Yours would totally look professional, since you've already got the rockin' recipes and amazing pictures! Monica's lucky to have you as a sister (you can tell her I said that in case she ever forgets, LOL).

    ReplyDelete