Monday, August 9, 2010

Mushroom Leek Croquettes

I'm having really good luck with recipes lately.  This is another Food and Wine recipe that I was expecting to be so-so and it turned out to be one of the most amazing foods I've ever put in my mouth.  All you need to know is that it's full of cheese, breaded, and fried.  Enough said.  This definitely isn't one of my healthy recipes but it's worth it. 

Recipe makes 12 croquettes:
5 tbs butter
2 leeks, light parts only, thin sliced
4oz dried Porcini (or shiitake) mushrooms, caps thin sliced
salt and pepper
1 tsp chopped thyme
1 tsp chopped oregano
3 tbs flour, plus more for coating
1 c milk
1/2 c shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1/4 c grated Parmesan
2 eggs, beaten with 2 tbs water
1 1/2 c panko
vegetable oil for frying


Melt 2 tbs of the butter in a skillet.  Cook the leeks and mushrooms over high heat until softened. Stir frequently and season with salt and pepper.  Add the thyme and oregano then transfer to a bowl.  In another saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tbs butter, whisk in the 3 tbs flour, and cook over high heat until bubbling.


Add the milk and cook, whisking constantly for about 3 minutes until very thick and bubbly.


Scrape the mixture into the bowl.  Add the cheeses, season with salt and pepper, and stir until combined.


Cut a long piece of plastic wrap.  Make a 14” log with the mixture and then wrap tightly in the plastic.  Freeze for about 2 hrs.

Fill 3 small bowls each with the flour, beaten eggs, and panko and line a baking sheet with wax paper.  Unwrap the croquette log and cut it into 12 pieces.  With floured hands, pat each piece into a 2” round patty and 3/4” thick.


 Dip each patty in the flour...


...then the egg...



...then the panko.


Freeze on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.


Heat the oil in a pan and fry the croquettes until golden brown.  Let them drain on paper towels and serve warm.


Is your mouth watering yet?


How about now?

I know I've made something delicious when Josh takes a bite and gives me that look that says "I want to throw you on the bed right now" and I definitely got that look when he tasted these.  They take a little more planning than I usually tolerate but having made them, trust me when I say that the time is worth it.  The flavors are so delicate and well-balanced, yet vibrant.  This is definitely a recipe that anyone would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment