Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Vegetable Casserole

I generally hate zucchini.  It has a weird, mushy texture no matter how you cook it and I've always hated it...until Josh's dad's partner made this for us.  I love this casserole.  If I can find a recipe that will make me eat a vegetable I normally dislike, I'll make it often.  In true Meg style though, I added some jalapenos to give it a little extra kick.  The recipe is fine without them, just a little boring and might not give you heartburn.  Your choice.

4 servings:
1 tbs olive oil
3 medium zucchini, washed and sliced into 1/8" disks
2 medium onions, diced
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
salt
2-10oz cans of Rotel diced tomatoes/green chiles
fresh grated Romano cheese


Saute the onions and jalapenos in the olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.  Add the thyme and season with a pinch of salt.


Spray a 9x9 baking dish with oil and make a layer with half the zucchini slices.


Make another even layer of half the onion/jalapeno mixture.


Drain one can of the Rotel and make an even third layer.


Repeat the three layers once more and top the whole thing with a thin layer of cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the cheese is melted.


So fresh, so healthy, so yummy.  I'm elated that I've found a way that zucchini and I can be in the same room together after all these years.  It's very unlike me to use previously prepared vegetables in my cooking but the Rotel is so yummy.  I might try chopping my own tomatoes next time and playing with seasonings but for now, I'll just be lazy and do it the quick way.

No comments:

Post a Comment