Monday, August 9, 2010

Blueberry Pie

Mmmm, nothing says summer like blueberry pie.  I actually made this over 4th of July weekend but I've been busy getting a job and constantly cleaning up dog hair and washing oil out of Josh's coveralls so I'm just posting it now.  You'll forgive me.  
I loooove my mommy's blueberry pie.  It has even served as my birthday cake a couple years.  That and coffee cake.
Anyway, Josh, his dad, his dad's partner, and I went to pick blueberries the day I made the pie.  They told me they'd do it if I made something naughty and yummy so I gladly obliged.


For an 8 or 9 inch pie crust:
2 cups of flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sugar
2/3 cup of shortening
4 to 5 Tbs of cold water
Blueberry filling:
1/3 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
4 cups of blueberries
1 Tbs of lemon juice
2 Tbs of butter or margarine


Pulse the crust ingredients in a food processor until pea-sized balls form.  The humidity in your house can affect how much water you need so start with 3 tablespoons and add as needed.

  



In a bowl, mix the blueberries (preferably fresh but if not, then thawed, rinsed, and dried.) with the sugar, flour, and cinnamon.


Toss to coat evenly.



Meanwhile, flour a rolling mat and roll out half the dough until it's just a little bigger than your pie pan, about 1/8" thick.  Gently put it in the pie pan and trim the edges.


Add the blueberries...


...and drizzle the lemon juice on top.  Cut the 2 tbs of margarine into small pieces and put it on top of the filling.


 Roll out the other half of the dough just like the first.  Fold it into fourths, cut off the tip, and score the edges.


Unfold the top onto the bottom half of the pie and crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork.


Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar.


Bake at 375 degrees for an hour.  As the time draws near, check it and take it out when the crust is golden brown.




Let the pie rest for about 30 minutes so that the inside can reconstitute and not run all over when you cut it.  I know it's tough, but it's worth it in the end.




This is such a delicious crust.  I love pie crust like I love pizza crust.  It just all builds on each other to make a great dish.  Pie brings back memories for lots of people.  Like pancakes or bran muffins, blueberry pie feels like home to me.  It's something my mommy made so between the memories and the taste, this is one of my favorite dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment