Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oven Fries with Romano and Herbs

Yesterday was Josh's birthday.  He hates his birthday.  He hates all the fuss.  Not even in the "I hate my birthday, but not really *wink wink*" kind of way but he genuinely doesn't even want to acknowledge it.  I ask if he wants something special for breakfast.  Nope, eggs are fine.  Something special for dinner? Nope, just whatever.  I finally convinced him that he wanted steak so I made that.  The stupid grill wasn't cooperating though, so the steak just came out so-so.  The savers were these Food and Wine oven fries I made.  They were soooo good.  I never make oven fries right.  They're always too soft and I can't seem to remedy the problem no matter what I try.  This recipe called for baking potatoes but I had Yukon Golds on hand so I used those instead for smaller, cuter fries.  The type of potatoes may have been the problem all along because these came out so delicious and crispy.  They were just perfect.


2 servings:
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2"x1/2" pieces
2 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sage, minced
1/2 tsp rosemary, minced
Fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Slice up the potatoes and toss them with the oil and salt.  Spread them evenly on a baking sheet and cook for about 30 minutes, turning the pieces every so often, until the fries start to get crispy.  Mix the garlic and herbs together and sprinkle over the mostly-cooked fries.  Cook for about 5 minutes longer until the garlic is fragrant and the fries look evenly crisp and cooked.


Transfer the hot fries to a bowl, grate the cheese over the top, and serve immediately.  They were the perfect complement to steak.  They were also so easy that I believe I'm going to make them again for lunch.  Naughty me.

No comments:

Post a Comment